Gas and Electric Heating Facts

A lot of people are trying to figure out how to make their homes more energy efficient while still saving money. Because of today’s technology, there are plenty of ways to do this, but not everyone can make out all the technical terms that are used to explain the differences between different types of heating.

The fact is you don’t really need to know everything about heating in order to make the right decision when it comes to saving money and heating your home efficiently these days.

Electric Heating

Electric Heating

The first thing you need to be aware of is the size of the area you are trying to heat. If you have a large room and you try to heat it with a tiny personal heater, you will end up spending a lot of money while it runs constantly. Of course, you don’t want to overdo it, either, by purchasing a large heating unit for a smaller room. Another aspect is what kind of system you are going to use. With so many options between electric and gas heaters, finding the right one is a bit difficult.

When deciding which kind of heating system to use, you need to consider the efficiency of the unit. For most new gas heaters, the efficiency rating is around 80%. This means that you are using 80% of the natural gas in the heater; the other 20% is wasted into the air. Even a 90% high end gas heater will waste 10% of the natural gas that flows through it. This is like dumping 10 to 20 percent of the gas you put into your car right on the ground. How is that efficient?

Probably the most efficient heater unit you can purchase is the air to air heating pump which runs on electricity. These units are rated at up to 250% efficiency, which is pretty high when it comes to the use of electricity to heat a home. While this is good, there is one that is even better, although a bit more expensive to install.

That is the geothermal heating pump. A geothermal heater uses the earth’s natural heat by drilling a pipe way into the ground and tapping into the natural geothermic layer.

Looking for the best portable ac units this year? Check our reviews here.

Be the first to comment on "Gas and Electric Heating Facts"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*